Indonesian Batik Course program offers a Wonderful chance to discover how to use software to create Batik designs and apply it to make your own Batik fabric through the traditional process.
Students will learn about:
- Indonesian Culture
- Introduction to Batik
- Batik Fundamentals
- Batik Fractal
- Cultural Heritage Erudition
Fee: USD 850
Period: July or welcome request date for minimum participants 10 students
Learn how to use Jbatik software to create batik designs and apply it to make your own batik fabric through the traditional process, well known as one of Indonesia’s cultural heritage. Two major subject are taught: Batik Fundametals and Batik Fractal.
An introductory course that familiarize students with the history of Batik and its practices in Indonesia. Students will explore design and production methods needed to create a batik fabric in both traditional and contemporary way. In this course students will learn the history and background of batik in Indonesia and other culture that influence the practice and design as a theoretical base before they start working on their batik design.
At our Batik Lab, students will learn how to:
- Trace their batik designs to cotton fabric
- Use the canting and wax to outline their design
- Use the stamping technique to further enhance their batik designs
- Use “colet” or brush technique to give different color in their batik designs
- Learn the process of dyeing and washing the batik fabric
Jbatik is a software created by Piksel Indonesia to aid designers in creating batik designs, traditional or contemporary using fractal formula. Batik and fractal is two different concepts. Batik is in region of art, while fractal concept that discuss iteration and self-similarity. However, batik and fractal joins into a concept in new kind of batik: Batik Fractal. In Batik Fractal, fractal is used to design and redesign new patterns using Jbatik. The presence of Fractal in Batik provides inspirations to create new pattern designs based on traditional patterns and fractal formulas (Hariadi, Lukman, & Destiarmand, 2013).
At our Computer Lab, students will learn how to :
- Navigate the Jbatik software and learn the commands as well as its functions
- Learn the basic layout of a batik fabric
- Manipulate the traditional designs and apply it to the batik fabric using the fractal formula
- Prepare batik motifs to trace on fabric for the waxing process.
Experience the blend of tradition and technology in the design process to create your own batik fabric and wear the product.
|Day 1||Day 2||Day 3||Day 4||Day 5|
|Arrival & Check-in||Introduction to Indonesian Culture and Batik||Batik Fundamentals||Batik Fundamentals||Batik Fractal|
|Day 6||Day 7||Day 8||Day 9||Day 10|
|Batik Fractal||Visit to Batik Center||Presentation||Bandung City Tour||Departure|
|Airport pick-up and transfer||V|
|Meals (three times/day)||V|
|Transportation during program||V|